Sunday, February 19, 2017

Re-visiting My Creative Roots

I have set a goal this year to expand my mixed media work by returning to my first love....fabric! I am lucky enough to join a local "journal quilt" group which meets monthly. 
Journal quilts are generally small - often A4 size or 12” x 12”, are made regularly – weekly, monthly etc and are used as a way to experiment and to document. No rules except the size. 
My first journal quilt was last December. I shared the results in my last post, but I could not stop myself from using the shape to make a doll. Here is my finished quilt:


and here is the doll:


And a "series" is born! 

For 2017 our theme is colors and January was Grey. 
Here are photos of my process.....

Playing with ideas...

Things are taking shape

Faces done on vintage paper that is collaged to muslin so I can sew them on.

Ready for hand stitching....

 And here is the final piece....


 I just could not bear to cover up the beautiful hankie so.....


Here are photos of the doll I made, inspired by the quilt
The bear was made from an old grain sack and the sweater is a sleeve from an old sweater I felted.
 
The sweater had holes, so I made them a feature!
A quilt, a doll and now I think, a painting inspired by them....

No comments:

Post a Comment