Saturday, February 16, 2013

What a Process!

It has been more than a month since I have posted. I have been in a sort of frenzy trying to get some new paintings completed, then all of a sudden I looked around the studio and have finished 4 fairly large paintings and several small ones. My process is one of discovery and requires some level of patience (which is not one of my stronger qualities!) I thought I would share the evolution of the painting I shared early in January...
This is the painting at the point of discovering a story....
A lot going on here, I was refining the figures and saw a "creature" in the right corner, but was stumped on a plan of attack...
When in doubt drip some more paint!


Working on the faces, still not sure if there is a creature or if it is a plant?

The creature on the right finally surfaced, but at this point I felt the painting needed to be simplified. I actually ended up paining over most of the background with grey paint..a moment of insanity or bravery, not sure which...
The final painting. I call it "I am". I noticed that in my last few big pieces I have been putting a little "soul" somewhere in the painting...this one has the little guy on the bottom left...

5 comments:

  1. I love this painting and it`s process. Thanks for sharing it♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome! Thanks for sharing your process. Nice to know other people don't really plan paintings but allow the painting to define itself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great. Always loved your paintings and your teaching!

    ReplyDelete
  4. your artwork is amazing-so glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete