|My "Golden Rule Studio"|
Why do I teach? I have been thinking about this a lot lately and have come to realize that teaching is an integral part of my creative process. Without sharing what I discover, it feels like something is missing. I created my artist "mission statement" years ago and I still believe it is true:
" I am on a journey, exploring the path of intuitive art, listening to the voice within to learn, create and share what I find."
So here are a few reasons why I teach:
- the anticipation of sharing something I am excited about
- learning from my students
- happy accidents that provide opportunities for unplanned problem solving
- seeing students letting down their guard, offering help and encouragement to each other.
- seeing that "click" of recognition when someone "gets it."
- the collaborative energy a group creates.
- that 10 people can approach the same project and come up with
10 wonderfully different results,
demonstrating that unique creative voice.
It is good to remember that making art is not just about "making." If it was just about mastery of certain skills, art would be easy. The intangible part of making art is being able to visually express who you are. Learning about new tools and techniques in a class is not an end, but a beginning. It can open a door that will lead your closer to finding your unique creative voice.
I hope, as a teacher, I am able to encourage others in their journey of self discovery through play, curiosity and paying attention.....